In this honors film class we are splitting up into groups and each group is making a short two to five minute films. Each group has a genre and every group much have certain things incorporated into the film. There must be a mine or clown, the line “Why is this happening to me today of all days?” and "It would be better for us not to talk about that,” a guitar, a cheese grater, and a skull.
My group’s film must be a romance. We started out imagining some kind of chase. For example, a high speed bicycle chase. We were getting excited about our idea when we discovered our film was a romance, not a comedy or action film like we had hoped. So, we had to adapt. We began thinking about how we could turn our idea into a romance film. We decided that we could have a scene of a couple saying their goodbyes as one gets on a train or in a car. The other would watch her drive away and then realize he didn’t want her to leave. The film would then consist of various scenes where the man is trying to chase down the car (or train) and get back to his love. We have yet to decide on a good ending for this idea.
We also talked about another idea involving a one sided romance. This is my personal favorite, and I believe it is our group’s favorite as a whole. In this story a man is in love with a woman and becomes obsessed with her. In our film he will stalk her, leave her various gifts, and will, overall, be very creepy. She does not return his affection. We have not decided on a good ending for this storyline either, but I am excited about the idea as a whole. This film would add a twist because it is not the typical love story.
For our film I hope to come up with a unexpected twist in the plot. I don’t want it to be cliché with a predictable ending. It has to have a “wow” factor. I believe our group has some creative people in it so coming up with this twist shouldn’t be difficult. I also want to make the film somewhat comic. I think, due to the time restraint, comedy would be the best way to create a captivating film. Comedy can grab a viewer instantly.
3-5 minutes is not much time for plot! So I would suggest focusing on mood and instantly-recognizable real emotions as much as possible. A twist could be really fun and surprise the viewer. Can't wait to see what you come up with!
ReplyDelete