The featurettes on Star Wars and The Lord of the Ring exhibited some captivating aspects of film. The Pre-Viz part of production was something I knew nothing about. It was strange to see the movie portrayed in that manner. I was amazed at the graphic designer’s ability to turn a storyboard into something so complex. Many of the scenes from the pre-viz were actually copied for the film. Though learning about the pre-viz process was fascinating, the thing that was truly impressive was how those who worked with the films sounds found the accurate sounds for the movie. If I were to work on a set this is the job I would want. It seems to be the most enjoyable job in the process. It was amazing some of the things they came up with to make the sounds they needed. I had no idea it was necessary to hand make the sounds in movies; in all honesty, I never gave much thought to the sounds at all. I guess I took it for granted. And while I’m commenting on sound, who knew that a horse could sound so ferocious? That was perhaps one of the most surprising sounds they collected. All in all, I enjoyed seeing the ins and outs of film production and value film even more. Now the credits rolling across the screen aren’t just random titles and names; I actually understand what they mean.
I’m just now realizing how much goes into producing a film. From writing the screenplays, creating storyboards, and filming to hours of editing, and making soundscapes. I must say that I appreciate filmmakers much more now; it’s impressive. But learning all the technicalities regarding producing a film has made me more apprehensive about generating my own short film. It will surely prove to be a feat. One of the most time-intensive elements of filmmaking appears to be editing. At least, I know this will be the part that will prove to be a challenge for me. I seldom open the edition software on my computer, much less try to operate it. It’s will be interesting to see how quickly I can learn to use it. Hopefully the upcoming project will force me to study my program inside and out. I’m looking forward to learning a new skill that is sure to challenge me, which is something I was expecting from the class.

I never thought much about sound either. In the back of y mind I just figured there was a giant catalog of sounds that people chose from to put in their movies, ha. Yeah right.
ReplyDeleteEver since I started watching(or attempting to watch)movies, I thought, as Jenny said, that there must be a huge catalog of sounds that editors chose from, but oh well......I was wrong. Like you, Lennon, I highly appreciate these filmmakers very much now, considering the amount of work put into these movies, even prior to the shooting of the real movie. It's incredible!!!!
ReplyDeleteI never knew that other people outside of the production team were also contacted to help make the movie better(for instance the Pre-Viz production) In short, my conceptions about film have completely changed, ever since the last class, and for some reason, when I begin to watch anything on tv/ the internet, I tend to look out for cinematographic effects..haha..Great class!!!
It was definitely really cool to listen and watch them make the different noises and then incorporate them into the film, whether it was the horses or the glass being crunched and shattered. I've never really thought about where movies acquire their various sound effects from, but I feel like now I'm going to be listening to them and analyzing them a lot more.
ReplyDeleteIt's humbling to think that we experience film as a seamless whole (or we tend to think that would be best), while in reality there are thousands of tiny intentional decisions that go into each frame.
ReplyDeleteThe sound making part of the pre-viz production is definitely one of the most interesting aspects in my opinion. It's crazy how they come up with some of the sounds for things you would never imagine. Anything can be used to create a sound, such as the stud horse giving semen for the crashing tower in LoTR. That background information was definitely interesting!
ReplyDelete